Sunday, July 15, 2012

Exploring Pin Up Shorts

I am fascinated by women owning their inner sexy through shorts. In these summer months, I have been thinking of making my own pair of shorts. However, I thought it would be fantastico to bing images of pin up shorts. These are some of the inspirational images that are triggering some afterthoughts:

These grey shorts are a modest, discreet, low-key version of pin up attire. These caught my eye because they probably have a non-roll elasticized waistband.
 

Many of the images for pin up shorts displayed a high-waisted style feature. Now, let's take a look at the backside of these high-waisted, sailor blue pin up shorts that I found at retrovixens.com. The extension above the yoke seems to be about four to five inches long. I'm left pondering if this design feature would look pleasant for my body type. I know that I have to make swayback adjustments, so maybe having a minimized extension would be my best option. 

I have a sewing pattern for shorts that I will explore as I attempt to make my own "Pin Up" shorts. I will be using Simplicity 1887 version C.


A book that will help me through the process of making my pair of shorts is called : Easy Guide to Sewing Pants by Lynn MacIntyre.

On page 139, she explains with clear illustrations how to draft your own raised-waist pattern. On page 141, she has a step-by-step diagram for drafting the facing for a raised waist. I will be making the muslin using the hip measurements.

All Righty then, happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment